The best way to reduce noise in your recordings is to prevent it entering your sound material at all. Here are some simple tips:
- Turn off your refrigerator, furnace, or air conditioner during the recording session.
- Be mindful of telephones, cell phones, pagers, ticking clocks, lawnmowers, etc.
- Avoid locating the recording session near airports, trains, fire stations, noisy dorm halls etc.
- If at all possible, avoid recording outdoors where noise is difficult to control.
- Hang blankets on the walls to dampen a live room, or record in a room with carpeting.
- If possible, record in a basement to help isolate your session from outside noise.
- Record late at night to reduce traffic noise leaking in from outside.
- Avoid fluorescent lighting and keep cell phones a good distance away from any equipment.